How to Buy a Waterfront Home
- Always inspect the property – Before you buy a waterfront home, ensure that you have gone all around the house and the complete property before buying it. You can even get someone experienced like an appraiser to evaluate the worth of this property properly and to make sure you’re getting what you pay for in this waterfront home. No matter how beautifully a house is built, you must ensure that you are buying a home that meets and exceeds your expectations. An important step in this process is making sure that the waterfront home has a built seawall and dock. Not
having this upfront can prove to be difficult when you’re looking to get the proper permissions to get it in the future.
- Get in touch with a waterfront property specialist – This step is the most important if you are buying waterfront homes in Boca Raton FL. Going with the wrong real estate agent would mean that you are going to get a house that will never really meet your expectations. Find an agent that specializes in selling waterfront properties. Additionally, this agent should know things like zoning and
any restrictive use such as protected wildlife and animals. You can trust the
Harmer/Alexander Real Estate Team when it comes to buying/selling property
in this area.
- Check for a well maintained structure – Due to the increased amount of natural wear and tear of waterfront homes compared to your normal home, take all extra precautions to make sure you avoid any issues in the future.
- Shop around for the best insurance policy – A waterfront home comes with more liabilities because it’s on the water. Check for additional hazards such as buying flood insurance and other liability policies with higher than normal limits.
- Consider all the costs – So you are spending more than what you are paying to buy the waterfront home. There are charges involved with insurance policies, title and lengthy paperwork as well. You will also have to pay commissions to the real estate agent and an attorney/title agency. Moreover, there will be cost incurred in renovating the house according to your lifestyle. So consider the whole lot before proceeding.
- Hire an attorney – For such a huge investment, doing it all alone can ruin the deal and cost you money. To achieve the best results, you must work efficiently with your real estate agent as well as your attorney so there are no hindrances in buying the property and doing the paperwork.